Green beens with Red Pepper and Coconut
Spices and delicate flavorings give out-of-the-ordinary appeal to familiar vegetables, as in this delicious selection.
4 ½ tbsp ghee or 2 tbsp unsalted butter and 2 tbsp oil
3 tsp black mustard seed
6 tbsp yellow split mung beans (optional)
1 ½ cups chopped onion
3 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
½ tsp cayenne pepper
4 cups green beans snapped
1 ½ cups red pepper sliced
1 tsp salt
½ cup water
1 ½ cups corn kernels
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
4 ½ tbsp lemon juice
1. Melt the ghee (or butter and oil) in a large frying pan.
2. Add mustard seed and stir over a medium heat for about 2 minutes or until seeds begin to pop.
3. Stir in the mung beans (optional), onion and ginger over a medium heat for about 2 minutes or until the onion is soft.
4. Stir in cayenne, green beans, red pepper, salt and water and stir over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until beans are tender. Add more water if required and adjust seasoning.
5. Stir in the corn, coconut and lemon juice over a high heat for about 1 minute or until heated through.