Potato Pie (Kubbet Batata)
1 kg. Potatoes washed, boiled, peeled and mashed.
1 cup dry bread crumbs
3-4 Tbs. oil or melted butter
5-6 cubes of butter
1-2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
220 grams of spinach leaves washed and cut
1 Tbs. veg. seasoning or stock
1 tsp. salt
¼ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1. Season the mashed potatoes with salt and white pepper.
2. Cut leek bulb and some leaves into thin small pieces.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan, and fry the leek, then add the cut up spinach and stir for 5 min. add the seasoning, the walnuts and salt. Set aside.
4. Grease the bottom of a baking tray with oil or butter.
5. Divide the potato puree in half.
6. Spread one half of the potato puree, flattening it out , to spread over the bottom of the tray.
7. Top with the spinach filling then spread the rest of puree over it( patching up small pieces together)
8. melt the butter and pour over the potato.
9. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs, and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 min. until top is golden brown.
Freekeh soup ( green wheat)
1 pound crushed Freekeh (2 cups)
1 medium onion OR leeks
2 Tbs olive oil
8 cups vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
• Clean Freekeh and wash, then soak in water for about 7 hours.
• Drain it and set aside.
• Cut the onions or leeks very small, and sauté in olive oil.
• Add the Freekeh to the onions and stir until it is all coated with oil. (About 3 min.)
• Boil the stock and add it to the Freekeh.
• Add salt and pepper then cover on medium heat for ½ hour and simmer for another 1 hour.
• You can add ¼ tsp all spice.
• Freekeh should be very soft when eaten.