Rice with vegetables
2 cups rice (calrose) medium grain.
300 grams green beans
1 cup corn
1 medium onion or leek
2 Tbs oil
3 cups vegetable broth
¼ tsp saffron threads
½ tsp curry powder
- Wash rice and soak in water at least 20 min.
- Soak the saffron threads in warm water.
- Peel, wash and cut carrots into small cubes. Also cut the zucchinis into cubes.
- Clean the beans and cut into 2 cm long pieces and boil until tender, then rinse under cold water.
- Cut onion or leeks finely.
- Heat the pot add the oil then the leeks stir for 2 min. then add the carrots cover until half done on slow fire. About 5 min. then add the zucchini for another 5 min. and last the beans and corn.
- Add the saffron threads water and curry, stir the vegetables then pour the broth over veggies in the pot.
- Drain the rice and add it when water begins to boil.
- Stir the rice with vegetables, add salt to taste. Cover and let cook on medium for 10 min. then simmer for another 15 min. enjoy
This can be eaten with yoghurt.
Sweet potato treats
4 sweet potatoes
1 cup pecans
100 grams melted butter
½ cup brown sugar
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 cm thick circles.
- Arrange in a non-stick pan.
- Place a pecan on each potato circle.
- Mix the sugar with melted butter and spoon over each potato.
- Heat the oven at 375 F. Put the pan in the oven on middle rack and cook for 25 min.
20 oz Mixed green leaves of spinach and different kinds of lettuce, (tango, gem and oak)
1 sweet red pepper
2 cups bean sprouts
1 cup fresh mushrooms
1 tsp mustard
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp dried mint
Salt and pepper to taste
Wash and let drain all greens, add the cut up peppers mushrooms and bean sprouts.
Mix all other ingredients and pour over salad just before eating.