|Menu:||Coconut Rice and Beans|
|Preparation Time: 20min|
|Cooking Time : 10-15 min|
|Yield : 4 servings|
|uncooked basmati rice||3 cups|
|Peanuts (raw or roasted)||1 cup|
|Split urad dal||3-4 tbsp|
|chopped ginger|| |
¼ cup (i like a lot of ginger!)
|coconut oil||2 tbsp – ¼ cup (i like a lot of oil!)|
|curry leaves||3-4 stems|
|(sweet) grated coconut||1½ cup|
|green chilis (optional)||1 (if you like it a lot spicier, use 2-3 chilis)|
|mustard seeds||1½ tsp|
|salt||½ tbsp per cup of uncooked rice|
|Coriander (aka celantro), chopped|| |
Several sprigs (or a healthy handful)
- Cook basmati rice separately; use a 2 to 1 ratio of water to rice. Make sure it’s fluffy (Maya’s note : I like to salt the rice as it cooks; approximately 1 tbsp per 2 cups uncooked rice)
- Heat coconut oil in a separate skillet/sauce pot (high heat).
- Add mustard seeds, red chilli whole and saute till the mustard seeds pop and the aroma is released.
- Add the green chillies (optional)
- Next, turn the heat down to med-hi, add the split urad dal and the peanuts, and sauté until a little golden
- Then add the ginger and curry leaves, and sauté until softened.
- Next add the sweet grated coconut. Gently stir until the urad dal and shredded coconut are lightly toasted and golden brown.
- Then add the rice and mix with the heat.
- Check the seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish liberally with coriander leaves. Serve hot!
Sautéed bora beans (Chinese long beans)Yield: 5 cups
|Long beans cut into small pieces||1 lb|
|Large onion, diced||1|
|Medium-Large potatoes, cubed (small)||1-2|
|Ginger, grated||1½ tbsp|
|Ground turmeric||¼ tsp|
|Ground black pepper||½ tsp|
|Hing (optional)||1 Dash|
- Heat oil in pot at about medium-high heat
- Add onions and sauté for a minute until softened and translucent
- Add potatoes and reduce heat to medium. Cover pot and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (and hing option); sauté until saucy
- Add beans, turmeric, salt, ginger and black pepper to the pot and mix thoroughly.
- Cover pot and place on medium heat.
- Let cook for 10 to 15 minutes (until beans are softened while still retaining their bright green colour), stirring at 3-minute intervals. If
- Remove from heat and serve.
Crazy Group Picture